Senator Orji Uzor Kalu is a successful Nigerian entrepreneur, politician and one of the richest persons in the country.
He is the chairman of Slok Holding (with interests in oil and gas, banking and finance, media and publishing, real estate, trading, manufacturing, insurance and tourism)
Full Name: Orji Uzor Kalu
Occupation: Entrepreneur and Politician
Date of Birth: 21 of April 1960
Net Worth: $330 million
Orji Uzor Kalu is a businessman and a politician who hails from Abia State in the Eastern part of Nigeria. Born on the 21 of April 1960, is married to Mrs Ifeoma Ada Menakaya and their union is blessed with four nice children.
Educational Background of Orji Uzor Kalu
He had his primary education at Christ the King School Aba before proceeding to the Government College Umuahia and Barewa College, Zaria. Orji traveled to the United States of America to study at the Catholic University, Washington. He also studied Business Administration at Harvard University.
Orji Uzor Kalu Entrepreneurial Journey
After quitting school at first, he made a decision to trade in palm oil and he borrowed N5000 from his mother to kick start his business. What Kalu does is to buy his palm oil from Aba and sell in Maiduguri at a profit. As he keeps growing, he launched his own furniture company too, and he got his big break when he won the contract to supply arms and ammunition to the Nigerian Military in the early ’80s.
This is a conglomerate with several subsidiaries and has a thriving workforce that is driven by common values. It is also a functioning member of several industrial institutions some of which are; Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Nigeria-America Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Nigeria-British Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and Nigeria-Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Slok Nigeria Ltd
The company is one of the subsidiaries of Slok holding, and is involved in the upstream sector of Nigeria’s oil and gas industry. They actually engages in marine transport services involving offshore support and deep-sea transportation within the country’s coastal and inland waterways.
Other Portfolios of Slok.
The following companies are listed under Slok Holding:
- – Slok United Kingdom Ltd
- -Slok Vegetable Oil
- – Slok Paper Factory Aba
- -Slok United States Incorporated
- – Slok Ghana
- – Slok Guinea
- – Slok Korea
- -Slok Togo
- – Slok Cotonou
- – Slok South Africa
- – Slok Liberia
- – Slok Botswana
Kalu also owns Sun Publishing Limited and Adamawa Publishers Limited.
Orji Uzor Kalu Achievements
- He is the Chairman of the popular dailies – Daily Sun publishing houseand New Telegraph Newspaper(which reportedly distributes 100,000 copies on a daily basis across the country).
- At age 25, hebecame the chairman of Borno water Boardand also introduced policies that made possible the availability of clean water to over 5 million indigenes of Borno State; an area where there was an outbreak of Guinea worm.
- Hewas made the chairman of The Imo State Marketing and Supply Agency. As the head, Kaludeveloped strategies for acquiring and allocating the necessary goods and services.
- In year 1987, hebecame the Chairman of Cooperative and Commerce Bank Limited(at just 27years). The accomplishment made him the youngest person to take on such an eminent responsibility in the country.
- He is also aphilanthropist who owns a foundation that provides scholarships for undergraduates.
- When he wasgovernorof Abia State, he built all major roads in the State and even came up with various impressive things (including a poverty eradication scheme)
- Heis currently the coordinator of Njiko Igbo Movement, a non-biased political operation set to help the south eastern people of Nigeria realize their dreams and aspirations in politics.
Orji Uzor Kalu Net worth.
According to Forbes, Orji Uzor Kalu had a net worth of $330 million. Today, he a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria