Last Updated on
- Pastor Joshua Obayemi succeeds him
The General Overseer of Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Pastor Enoch Adeboye on Saturday January 7, 2017 announced his retirement as the GO of RCCG.
Pastor Adeboye who will be celebrating his 75th birthday on March 2, 2017 appointed his Special Assistant on Finance, Pastor Joshua Obayemi, as his successor.
Though the church said Baba remains General Overseer of RCCG Worldwide.
Baba, as he’s fondly called in Nigeria, oversees a network of over 40,000 parish-churches in 186 nations of the world.
According to the official website of Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye his evangelical beginning started when he began working with the founder General Overseer of RCCG Reverend Josiah Olufemi Akindayomi by translating his sermons from Yoruba to the English language until the leadership mantle fell on him in 1981, and since then, RCCG has experienced phenomenal growth and success.
His daughter ill health in 1973 took him and his wife to a parish of RCCG to seek divine healing for their daughter after orthodox medicine failed.
On July 29, 1973, Enoch Adeboye made a personal commitment to Christ through the ministry of Reverend Josiah Olufemi Akindayomi.
Reverend Akindayomi was uneducated but was supernaturally endowed with the ability to read the Holy Bible in his native language.
In 1981, when the founder passed to glory, the baton of leadership was handed over to him by divine orchestration.
His appointment as General Overseer immediately terminated his academic career, and as a result, he set his heart on taking RCCG to the next level of ministry, where all strata of society could be involved in the ministry without compromising the true worship of God.
Enoch Adeboye was launched into international prominence on December 18, 1998, when he hosted the very first Holy Ghost Congress (open air meeting) in Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria with an attendance of over 7 million people as reported by CNN and the BBC.
It constitutes the largest mobilization of people in one spot on the surface of the earth, a feat never before recorded.
The following year, attendance at the Holy Ghost Congress (HGC) grew to 12 million worshipers.
This program has since been replaced with the annual 3-Day HGC held every December at the Redemption Camp.
Enoch Adeboye has written over 60 books.
His daily devotional manual (Open Heavens), with over 1 million published annually, available in English, French and other major languages of the world is globally-distributed and widely-read.
In recognition of his contribution as a global icon and preacher of God’s Word, Adeboye was selected in 2008 as one of the world’s 50 most influential people by Newsweek magazine, USA.
Born on March 2, 1942 into a humble family in the village of Ifewara, Osun State, located in the South-Western part of Nigeria.
Pastor E.A. Adeboye’s Academic life
In 1956, Baba was admitted into Ilesha Grammar School, Osun State.
As a youth he discovered a passion for books, and an aptitude for science, and in particular, mathematics. This led him to pursue higher education in the same field.
He obtained a Bachelors degree in Mathematics from the University of Ife, Nigeria in 1967, a Masters degree in Hydrodynamics from the University of Lagos, Nigeria in 1969, and a Doctorate Degree in Applied Mathematics from the same university in 1975. He had planned to become the youngest University President in Africa.
In 1967, he got married to his beloved wife, Foluke Adenike Adeboye (nee Adeyokunnu).
List of Awards received by Pastor E.A Adeboye
- 1999 – Received honorary citizenship and key of Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- 2000 – Dedicated the first chapel in the Nigerian Presidential Villa, Abuja, Nigeria.
- 2002 – Received the key to the city of Detroit, Michigan.
- 2005 – Received honorary citizenship and key of Dallas, Texas, USA.
- 2005 – Received honorary citizenship and key of Baltimore, Maryland, United States.
- 2008 – Awarded a National Honor (Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria) by the Nigerian President.
- 2009 – Led the Pre-Summit Prayers at the 64th General Assembly of the United Nations Headquarters, New York.
- 2009 – Named one of The World’s Fifty Most Powerful People by Newsweek Magazine (USA).
- 2009 – Awarded honorary doctorate degree – University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria.
- 2009 – Awarded honorary doctorate degree – University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria.
- 2009 – Awarded honorary doctorate degree in Theology – Canada Christian College, Canada.
- 2010 – Awarded a National Sports Honor (Spiritual Pillar of Nigerian Sports).
- 2011 – Chaired United Nations Global Summit on the Road Map to a Culture of Peace in the Middle East.
- 2011 – Awarded honorary doctorate degree – University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- 2011 – Received award as the Best/Most Profitable Icon/Personality in Nigeria
- 2014 – Awarded National Honour – (CON) Commander of the Order of the Niger
- 2015 – Awarded Honorary Doctor of Science – University of Lagos
- 2015 – Certificate of Recognition – The Congress of The United States of America
- 2015 – Presidential Merit Award – The Nigerian Society of Engineers
Enoch Adeboye was born but “reborn” himself to become one of the Most Respected Man of God in the World.
His innovative ideas transformed RCCG to where it is today.