The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has appointed Lanre Issa-Onilu as its new publicity secretary.
The National Working Committee of APC made the appointment Friday in Abuja while the party is expected to announce date of his inauguration in the days ahead.
The appointment of Mr. Issa-Onilu will make the acting spokesperson, Yekeen Nabena, to reverted to his previous position as deputy national publicity secretary of the party.
Mr Nabena became the acting publicity secretary of the APC following the resignation of Bolaji Abdullahi who defected along with his boss, Bukola Saraki, to the opposition Peoples Democratic Party.
While we await the formal inauguration of the Mr. Lanre Issa-Onilu, here are the 15 things we know about him.
1) Lanre Issa-Onilu graduated at the Mass Communication Department of the University of Lagos.
2) Mr. Issa-Onilu holds MS Certificate in Integrated Marketing Communications from West Virginia University, Virginia, U.S.A.
3) Lanre Issa-Oniluis an expert in strategic public communications planning.
4) He has certificates in some professional courses and training including courses in Advanced Public Relations and Media Audience Research at the New York University, United States.
5) He is well versed with corporate and political communications, crisis communication, policy analysis and development issues.
6) He attended several seminars in advertising, media, and communication including World Advertising Research Council (WARC) in London, United Kingdom.
7) Mr Issa-Onilu is an associate member of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA).
8) He is a member of the Public Relations Society of New York.
9) Mr Issa-Onilu is also a Corporate Member of the International Communications Conference (ICC) Baruch College, State University of New York, U.S.A.
10) Back home, he is an associate member of the Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON).
11) Mr Issa-Onilu is very familiar with news room in Nigeria, having worked at the defunct Comet Newspapers, Lagos as a News Editor.
12) He was a former Assistant Editor at Thisday Newspapers, SundayThisday, where he resigned as Group Politics Editor, Thisday Newspapers.
13) His articles had featured in Forbes International Business magazine.
14) He also delivered a paper on ‘Crisis Communication and Reputation Management’ before an international audience of communication, marketing, advertising, and public relations academia, practitioners and faculty at the Baruch College, State University of New York, New York, USA in June 2010.
15) Mr Issa-Onilu hails from Ilorin, Kwara State, where the former publicity secretary Bolaji Abdullahi hails from.
He will assuming office at a time APC prepares for 2019 General Elections, envisaged to a battle between the ruling party and the opposition PDP.