Last Updated on
Michael Olufisayo Ologunde (born October 31, 1954) is a professor of Food Chemistry and a former Head of Department of Food Science and Engineering, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomosho, Oyo State, Southwest, Nigeria.
- Date of Birth: October 31, 1954
- State of origin: Osun
- Children: Four
- Spouse: Dr. (Mrs) A.O. Ologunde of the Department of Management and Accounting, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State.
Early Life and Education
Michael Olufisayo Ologunde is a native of Iwo, Ajagunlase-Iwo, Ola Oluwa Local Government of Osun State.
After completing elementary school, he proceeded to Osogbo Grammar School, Osogbo from 1967 to 1973 for his West African School Certificate.
He gained admission to the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) for his first degree from 1974-1978, where he he graduated with Second Class Lower in Biochemistry leading to the award of B.Sc. (Hons).
Michael Olufisayo Ologunde’s passion for education made him proceeded for his Master Degree in 1980 at the University of Ife, Ile-Ife, now Obafemi Awolowo University, Osun State where he was awarded Master of Science in Food Science and Technology in 1983.
Michael Olufisayo Ologunde wouldn’t stop at Masters degree, as one of the academic staff members of LAUTECH he was at the same time one of the Ph.D students between 1997 to 2004.
By 2005, he was awarded Ph.D in Food Science/Food Chemistry, his thesis was supervised by the current Chairman of the Governing Council of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Prof. Oladapo A. Afolabi.
Apart from the above academic qualifications, Ologunde has training in the following certificate courses:
Certificate in Recent Advances In Chromatography, which was organized by American Chemical Society/Virginia Polytechnic and State University for United States Food and Drug Administration in April 8, 1989.
Certificate Course in the Theory and Practice of: Gas Chromatography,Flame Atomic Absorption, Infra-Red Spectrometry, High Performance, Liquid Chromatograph At UNICAM Analytical System, York Street, Cambridge U.K in November-December 1992.
Assumption of office as LAUTECH VC
Prof. Ologunde was announced the preferred candidate among more than 10 applicants who applied and contested for the post of the Vice Chancellor of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology LAUTECH Ogbomoso.
Other applicants for the position of the LAUTECH VC after the institution announced vacancy in July 2018 include:
Six professors from within LAUTECH community:
- Prof. Timothy Adebayo (Agronomy Department and a former Deputy VC of the institution)
- Prof. Idowu Adetunji (Agronomy Department)
- Prof. Ismail Oladosu (Agricultural Economics & Extension)
- Prof. Femi Fadiora (Anatomy)
- Prof. Joseph Abayomi.
- Four from other universities.
Michael Olufisayo Ologunde finally broke the jinx
Michael Olufisayo Ologunde is the first internal professor from within LAUTECH to become the first Vice-Chancellor of the 28-year old state-owned institution when his appointment was made on December 9, 2018
All other former VCs and current VC of LAUTECH are from outside the school.
Professors Olusegun Oke, Late Akinola Salau, Benjamin Adeleke came from the University of Ibadan, and assumed office as VC after completing his as the rector of Osun State Polytechnic, Iree; Moshood Nasir and Suleiman Gbadegesin.
Honours And Awards
1. He won the award of The Most Conscientious Worker in 2011 at Wesley University of Science and Technology, Ondo.
2. He is a Fellow of Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology.
3. He also won back to back The Most outstanding Lecturer in 2002, 2003 and 2004 at LAUTECH
4. In 2008 and 2009, he was was awarded the The Most outstanding Chapter chairman of NIFST
5. Membership Of Professional Bodies.
6. Michael Olufisayo Ologunde belongs to a few professional bodies, among which are:
7. Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (Fellow).
8. World Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
1. Michael Olufisayo logunde served as Research Assistant on the following funded grants in the Department of Chemistry, Howard University, Washington DC, USA.
2. Agronomical and Chemical Evaluation of Grain Amaranth in Nigeria. Howard University– Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife Linkage Programme, January 1988- June 89.
3. Vernonia Galamensis. Potential Source of New Materials for the Nylon and Plastic Industries. Department of Chemistry, Howard University, Washington DC, September 1988 – June 1989.
4. Kraft Food Industry Research Support for Food Science and Technology. Department of Chemistry, Howard University, Washington DC, October 1988– March 1989.
5. Howard University Research Grant, Summer, 1988.
6. Visiting Scientist at the Centre for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, United States Food and Drugs Administration and Control, 200 C Street, NW, Washington DC, USA (1988).
7. Visiting Scientist at Phillips Analytical and Scientific Systems Cambridge, UK, 1992-1993
Experience At Ladoke Akintola University
1. Foundation Staff (Department, Faculty and University) September 1990.
2. Member, Undergraduate Curriculum Development Committee (Department and Faculty).
3. Ag. Head, Department of Food Science & Engineering 1997 to 2002.
4. Member, Postgraduate Curriculum Development Committee.
5. Member, University Accreditation Committee (NUC).
6. Member, University Accreditation Committee (COREN).
7. Member, University Senate 1997-2002, 2010 to date.
8. Member, Governing Council, 1991-1993.
9. Postgraduate School Representative on Oral Defense Examinations, 2005.
10. Faculty Representative on Oral Defense Examinations, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 to date.
11. Chairman, Business Committee of Senate, 2012
12. Chairman, Senate Committee on Open Distance Learning, 2012
His theses and dissertations include the following:
1. Ologunde, M. O. (1978) Possible Liver Damage In Animals Fed On Prolonged High Cassava Diet. University of Nigeria, Nsukka. (B.Sc).
2. Ologunde, M. O. (1983). Development of Asala (Tetracaridium conophor)- based cereal snack foods. Univ. of Ife, Ile-Ife. (M.Sc.)
3. Ologunde, M. O. (2005) Crude oil contamination of local food sources-A study of selected locations in the Niger Delta area. Ladoke Akintola Univ. of Technology, Ogbomoso. (Ph.D)
1. Explanatory Notes in Food Biochemistry. Editors: Prof. Adeyemi I.A. and Dr. Ologunde M.O. Publisher: BOLABAY Publications, Lagos, Nigeria. ISBN: 978-31727-6-X
2. Food Science Lecture Note Series: IV International Food Policy. Editors: Adeyemi, I. A., Ologunde, M. O. and Shepard, R. L. Publisher: SEAS Publishers, Lagos. ISBN :978-978-48298-2-3.
3. Food Science Lecture Note Series: II Principles of Food Analysis. Editors: Adeyemi, I. A. and Ologunde, M. O. Publisher: DEAK Publishers, ILE-IFE. ISBN :978-066-520-X
4. Food Science Lecture Note Series: III Food Chemistry. Editors: Adeyemi, A.and Ologunde, M. O. Publisher: SEAS Publishers, LAGOS. ISBN :978-978-48298-1-6.
5. Food Science and Engineering Lecture Note Series: V Toxic Constituents of Foods. Editors: Adeyemi, I. A. and Ologunde, M. O. SEAS Publishers: LAGOS. ISBN:978-9978-48298-0-9.
6. Food Science Lecture Note Series: VI Food Product Development and Quality Control Editors: Ologunde M. O. and Akande E. A. (In print).
Food Science Lecture Note Series: VII Advanced Human Nutrition. Editors: Ologunde, M. O. and Agboola H. A. (In Print).