Niger State is one of the 36 states (including the Federal Capital Territory) that constitutes the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The State is located in the Central part of the country and is reputed as the largest state in Nigeria.
Nicknamed “The Power State” and established on the 3rd of February in 1976, Niger State has its capital in Minna.
Apart from Minna, the likes of Bida, Kontagora and Suleja are also important cities in Niger State.
Niger State was formed in 1976 when the then North-Western State was divided into two states. The State has produced various notable individuals, including Ibrahim Babangida and Abdulsalami Abubakar.
There are various ethnic groups in the State, including the Nupe, Gbagyi, Kamuku, Kambari, Dukawa, Hausa, Koro and so on.
The current Governor of Niger State is Abubakar Sani Bello of the All Progressives Congress (APC) alongside his Deputy Ahmed Muhammad Ketso.
Past governors of Niger State (both Military and Civilian) are:
- Murtala Nyako (Military)
- Okoh Ebitu Ukiwe (Military)
- Colonel Joseph Oni (Military)
- Malam Awwal Ibrahim (Civilian)
- David B. Alechemu Mark (Military)
- Garba Ali Mohammed (Military)
- Lawan Gwadabe (Military)
- Musa Inuwa (Civilian)
- Cletus Komena Emein (Military)
- Simeon Oduoye (Military)
- Habibu Idris Shuaibu (Military)
- Abdulkadir Kure (Civilian) under the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) from May 29, 1999, to May 29, 2007.
- Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu (Civilian) a PDP governor who ruled the state from May 29, 2007 till May 29, 2015.
- Abubakar Sani Bello won an election under the All Progressive Congress (APC) and assumed office on May 29, 2015 till date
Niger State Population and Tourist Centers
Named after the River Niger, the State, as of 2006, has a population that is about 4 Million.
The State is home to two of the country’s major hydroelectric power stations – the Kainji Dam and the Shiroro Dam. Also, the Gurara Falls is located in the State, and we should emphasise that the Gurara Local Government Area is named after the Gurara River, on whose course the fall is situated.
Niger State also has the Kainji National Park – which is the largest National Park in the country. The park contains Kainji Lake, the Borgu Game Reserve and the Zugurma Game Reserve.
Just like other States in the country, Niger State is governed by a Governor (who has a deputy) and a state House of Assembly.
Local Government Areas in Niger State
There are 25 local government areas in the State, and they are: