Mrs Maryam Uwais, the Senior Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on the National Social Investment Programme (N-SIP) has hinted that the first batch of N-Power programme will be disengaged by 2020.
The programme started in 2016 with 200, 000 beneficiaries earning N30, 000 as monthly stipend across the country.
The NSIP boss stated this on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 while featuring on Good Morning Nigeria where she spoke extensively on the success recorded so far since the youth empowerment programme of the APC-led government kick started in 2016.
The latest update came a few days after Mrs. Maryam Uwais met with the new Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Hajia Sadiya Umar farouq.
“We’ll disengage the existing beneficiary probably by the end of this year and the portal will be open for New applicants.
“No provision for N-Power 2016 batch in 2020 budget, by next year (2020) 1st phase of the program (200,000) will be disengaged and another 300,000 volunteers will be engaged,” she said on NTA.
Shedding more light on why the Federal Government came up with the idea of Transition Programme, she said “That is probably the reason why Transition path was added on the NPVN Portal, by next year, 2016 N-Power beneficiaries will transit to another programme.”
The N-Power transition page was launched a few days ago, but it was deactivated a few minutes later, N-Power on social media says it was still testing the efficiency of the new button on the NPVN portal of the 2016 batch.
“We are trying to see how we can address some of these gaps through these N-power beneficiaries that are meant to be disengaged by end of the year.
“We are looking out loans to be made available to them, it has not be finalized yet with the finance ministry,” she added.
We’ll keep you updated.