A lot has been said about PYES, which means the Presidential Youth Empowerment Scheme, most especially during campaigns for the 2019 General Elections.
Just like N-Power scheme, P-YES was meant to empower the youth across the country and it was coordinated by Mr Nasir S Adhama.
Before the election he announced that P-YES was ready to kick start in 12 states, everyone was excited about it. Applicants stormed cyber cafe to register for the wonderful opportunity.
Unfortunately, after the election which was won by the All Progressive Congress (APC) of President Muhammadu Buhari, the programme went under, nothing has been heard about it again, making those who registered to ask questions:
- What is P-YES?
- Is it a scam?
- Was P-YES registration launched to win the 2019 election?
- Is the programme no more?
- When will P-YES registration start again?
- What happens to those who had successfully passed through screening stage?
- What about another website which similar to the original P-YES registration portal?
We’ll provide answers to the above questions
What is P-YES?
It means the Presidential Youth Empowerment Scheme which has the following goals:
- To fight and reduce unemployment among Nigerian youths.
- To train and empower youth who will in return train and empower at least one youth in his community.
- To create wealth among the growing Nigerian youth population.
- To engage the youth so as reduce the scourge of criminality and drug use and abuse among the youth.
- It was also designed to to help achieve the financial inclusion strategy of the APC-led government.
- To enhance production across the 774 Local Government Areas
- To contribute to GDP growth through the development of Micro, Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (MSMEs)among others
It was designed to focus majorly on the following sectors: Agriculture, Fashion and Beauty, Food & Beverages, Healthcare, and Technology Acquisition.
It listed requirements for applicants as follow:
- must be Nigerian male or female within the ages of 18 – 40.
- must show the basic capacity to learn and be teachable.
- must have, at least, one valid means of identification (National Identity card, International Passport, Permanent Voters Card – PVC).
- must provide a Second Level Beneficiary (SLB) to qualify for benefitting from the scheme.
- must show the ability to communicate in Basic English language and or any local Nigerian language.
- Provable upright character and a stable mind.
- Applicant must provide a guarantor preferably a community or religious leader.
- Ability to secure the endorsement of a local government official.
- Ability to transfer knowledge and mentor pairs within their communities.
- Applicants Must Complete a guarantor’s form.
Who introduced P-YES?
It was a brainchild of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) during the administration of the ex-President Dr Goodluck Jonathan before he lost the 2015 presidential election to the incumbent APC government.
Is it a scam?
The programme has a great template. A few people benefited from it before the election. And it would have been another huge success of the APC-led government.
Unfortunately, the government made it looked like a scam as they took down the P-YES registration portal immediately after the 2019 general elections.
Was P-YES registration launched to win the 2019 election?
From the above scenario, the registration was opened before the election to win the hearts of millions of the Nigerian youths who constitute the population.
Is the programme no more?
It may be rejuvenated again probably before another election. At this time, we can’t say if youth empowerment scheme has been rested.
When will P-YES registration start again?
When the registration opens again, we’ll keep you updated. At this time, the portal has been taken down. Disregard any news of online registration.
What happens to those who had successfully passed through the screening stage?
With the suspension of the programme, those who registered who passed through several stages before the election has therefore been rendered invalid, null and void.
Since P-YES closed shops, the government has not said anything about it again. Its last tweet at the time of this report was in February 2019 (at the time of this report).
SSA to President Buhari Mr Nasir S Adhama who was everywhere during campaigns has also remained silent after the election.
What about another website which similar to the original P-YES registration portal?
The real P-YES registration portal is https://applicant.p-yes.gov.ng/signup with the main domain name p-yes.gov.ng which isn’t available at the time of compiling this report.
It is also available on Twitter https://twitter.com/p_yes_nigeria.
— Nasir S Adhama (@NSAdhama) February 4, 2019
We urge you to disregard any other portal that looks like the original portal of the youth empowerment scheme. The programme was designed to complement the N-Power Transition which is youth-oriented.
We’ll keep you updated when P-YES registration portal is opened for fresh applications.