- Make payment on remita payment page
- Visit TRCN branch close to you for full registration and documentation
- TRCN registration deadline for 2019 is December 31
In this guide, we’ll show you how to register as a teacher in Nigeria and be certified by the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) so that you don’t lose your job by December 2019.
You need TRCN licence to teach in either public or private schools in Nigeria. Some states now require you to present your TRCN licence before you could be employed by State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB).
As you may have heard the TRCN registration for 2019 closes December 31, 2019, that’s according to the Registrar of TRCN, Prof Josiah Ajiboye.
Let’s get started…
Irrespective of your academic qualifications, you still need to be certified the same way medical practitioners have their regulatory body, so also lawyer etc.
You need TRCN licence to legally teach in schools.
What is TRCN?
TRCN is an acronym for Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria. It is one of the agencies under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Education.
Functions of TRCN
Some of the functions of the Teacher Registration Council of Nigeria include:
- To ensure that teacher training institutions in Nigeria meet national and international standards.
- To equip teachers and prospective teachers with the necessary professional skills before licensing them for full professional practice.
- Conduct of professional examinations and interviews to determine teachers that are suitable for registration.
- To make sure that teachers are updated about developments in the theory and practice of the profession through the establishment of national minimum standards for and execution of Mandatory Continuing Professional Development (MCPD).
- It organises conferences, workshops and seminars for teachers in Nigeria.
- Publication of a register of qualified and licensed teachers in Nigeria.
- To enforce a professional standard in teaching.
- TRCN is also empower to prosecute in the law court of unqualified persons performing the job of teachers in contravention of the TRCN Act section 17(2).
I have M.Ed, do I still need TRCN Licence to teach?
As earlier stated, even with PhD you are required to obtain TRCN registration licence to practice as a teacher in Nigeria.
The agency is not going to issue you another qualification but will certify you to practice.
Apart from vacancies that may exist in reputable schools in Nigeria, some of the foreign schools also require that you present your certification even though you may still be required to get certified by their agency.
Today, most of the state ministry of education requires you to have TRCN licence to apply for nay available vacancies in the ministry.
How do you begin your TRCN registration 2019 in order to avoid any sort of embarrassment when the task of the agency begins enforcement by January 2020?
TRCN registration guide
Follow the guide below to make payment for trcn fee
- Step 1: Head straight to the TRCN porta at https://trcn.gov.ng/
- Step 2: By the top right-hand side of the portal, click “Generate RRR (Remita Retrieval Reference) number
- Step 3: It takes you to the remita page for you to make payment directly to the Federation Account
- Step 4: In the “Name of MDA” type “TEACHERS REGISTRATION COUNCIL OF NIGERIA”
- Step 5: In space “Name of Service/Purpose” enter registration fee” if you are only registering as a member or choose PQE if you are in for the Professional Qualifying Examination
- Step 6: Enter the amount to pay. It’s N6,000 for membership registration plus N157.50 service charge
- Step 7: Enter GIFMIS Code – (SEE TRCN GIFMIS CODE HERE) This is where you need to call TRCN Coordinator in your state or visit TRCN Office in your state
- Step 8: Enter your name, email address, and phone number plus the code provided and click “Make Payment”
- Step 9: Enter your debit Account details, the amount will be charged directly from your account number.
- Step 10: Print your payment receipt and visit TRCN branch office to complete your documentation.
Alternatively, print the details to make payment at the nearby bank.
Date of exam and certification will be communicated to you.
That’s how to make payment for TRCN registration licence in Nigeria
How to check TRCN examination result
A few months ago, the Registrar of TRCN, Prof Josiah Ajiboye, stated that deadline for registration is December 31, 2019.
Penalty for failure to register for TRCN
According to Prof Ajiboye said, “By January 2020, we are going to begin enforcement.
“We don’t want to threaten anybody. But I think to be forewarned is to be forearmed. It is better to be in the side of the law.
“People should obey the directives of the government and do that which is needful so that when the implementation starts, they won’t say they were not informed,” he said.
Already, an exam was conducted October 2019 while about 30,000 teachers registered and wrote the first batch of the 2019 Teachers Professional Qualifying Examination (PQE) in June, 7 and 8, 2019 in 50 Computer Based Test (CBT) Centres across Nigeria.