The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq has assured beneficiaries of N-Power programme that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari has no plan to scrap the youth empowerment programme.
She made the statement on Monday, December 2, 2019 while speaking on the causes of delay of two months stipends of the beneficiaries of the programme.
The minister had earlier revealed that the delay of October and November stipends was due to a proper handing over which is still ongoing in her ministry.
She said, “There should be no apprehension with regards to the continuity or sustainability of the SIP as the government will continue to adequately fund them and ensure that they reach the beneficiaries and touch lives positively.”
N-SIP is one of the agencies under the purview of her ministry.
It wasn’t the first time rumour of scrapping of N-Power would surface. In 2018, Senator Danjuma Goje’s call to scrap the Social Investment Programmes (SIPs) caused apprehension among beneficiaries across the country.
Goje was chairman, Senate Committee on Appropriation at the time when he threatened to cut down on the proposed National Social Investment Programmes (NSIP) N500 billion allocations in the 2018 budget over an allegation that no single person from Gombe State had benefited from the N-Power programme.
But Gombe State government replied him describing his claim as “untrue” noting that the State enjoyed the services of over 2,800 beneficiaries of NPower programme at the time.
“It may interest the senators that 2,809 food vendors are currently providing highly nutritious meals to about 286,000 pupils in the state.
“In Senator Goje’s Senatorial District, 162 food vendors have been verified to provide meals for 14,342 pupils daily in the Senator’s local government which happens to have the highest number of vendors and pupils in the State,” a top government official at the time Hajia M.I Mele had said.