Abia State University (ABSU) is one of the state-owned universities in Nigeria. It was established to expand admissions of young Nigerians so as to enable them get quality higher education after leaving secondary school, and raise experts in various fields that can ensure the growth and development of the country.
It is a hub that has brought together several professionals in several fields to impact the necessary knowledge on students, using several methods and skills.
ABSU as one of the higher institutions in Abi State has given more locals the platform to actualise their dreams, and it has shaped the lives of many since its establishment years ago.
Actually, the inception of the school was in 1981, and it was established by Sam Mbakwe. At that time, the State was still under the old Imo State, and the institution was under the name of Imo State University, Etiti.
However, between 1984 and 1985, the school moved fully to its own permanent site at Uturu Okigwe. By 1991, Abia State was created, the Uturu campus of the institution became Abia’s.
Abia State Univerity Faculties
Abia State University has ten colleges (faculties), which are:
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
- College of Biological and Physical Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Engineering and Environmental Studies
- College of Law
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences
- College of Optometry
- College of Postgraduate Studies
Accredited courses At Abia State University
If you desire to further your education in this institution at the undergraduate level, there is always something for you.
The school offers tons of courses you can choose from. Even if you want to get a doctorate degree, you can easily get it from Absu.
Two campuses in Abia State University
You have to be familiar with the location of your faculty. The school actually has two campuses:
- The main campus is in Uturu,
- The College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine is in Umuahia.
Here are the courses and departments present in Abia State University (ABSU).
- Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Science and Education
- Animal Science and Fisheries
- Banking and Finance
- Building Technology
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Crop Production And Protection
- Education / Fine Art
- Education and Accountancy
- Education and Biology
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and English Language
- Education and Geography / Physics
- Education and Government
- Education and Integrated Science
- Education and Mathematics
- Education and Physics
- Education and Political Science
- Education and Religious Studies
- Education and Social Studies
- Educational Management and Planning
- Electrical / Electronic Engineering
- English Language and Literature
- Environmental Resources Management
- Environmental Science
- Estate Management
- Fine / Applied Art
- Food Science and Technology
- Geography and Planning
- Geography and Planning
- Government And Public Administration
- History and International Studies
- Home Economics and Education
- Language and Literature
- Library and Information Science
- Library Science
- Linguistics and Communication Studies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Laboratory Technology / Science
- Medicine and Surgery
- Nursing / Nursing Science
- Plant Science and Biotechnology
- Political Science
- Public Health
- Pure / Industrial Physics
- Religious Studies
- Soil Science
- Surveying and Geo-Informatics
- Urban and Regional Planning
Abia State University Admission Requirements
Just like every other school in Nigeria have their own admission requirements, ABSU is not an exception.
There are some important things admission seekers should know so they won’t thwart their chances of getting admitted into the institution.
You must be familiar with the admission requirements of the school because you will be allowed into the system.
Admission Requirements into Abia State University (ABSU)
All Candidates are expected to possess a minimum of 5 credit passes in relevant subjects. It must be noted that this must include English Language and mathematics at GCE O’Level, WASCE, SSCE, NECO or approved equivalents at not more than 2 sittings.
For candidates who have got Teachers Grade II (TC II) with passes at credit or merit levels in addition with credit passes in relevant subjects at GCE, WASCE, SSCE, NECO (or all other approved equivalents), they may also be considered.
However, it must be noted that the No subject may be counted at both TC II and GCE O/Level, WASCE, SSCE, NECO or approved equivalents.
JAMB score for admission into ABSU
Candidates must participate in the Jamb examination and must have at least 200 pass mark before such can be invited for the internal screening.
It must be noted that passing JAMB is not the major determinant of granting admission. After passing the hurdle, candidates must still go ahead to partake in the internal screening organized by the management of Abia State University, before such can be considered for admission.
Apart from her ten colleges, the University also has tons of Centres, directorates and institutes, including:
- Centre For Entrepreneurial Education
- Student Affairs Department
- Counseling Centre
- Centre for Primary and Non-Formal Education
- General Studies
- Centre for Igbo Studies
- Academic Planning
- Sandwich Programme
- Centre for Remedial Studies
- University Examination Centre
- Business Resource Centre
- Institute for Distance Education (IDEA)
- Institute for Computer Studies
- Consultancies, Linkages & Revenue Mobilization
- Institute of Arts & Sciences
- Centre for Quality Assurance
Is there any other thing you want to know about gaining admission into Abia State University (ABSU)?
Use the comment box below.