Last Updated on
Micheal Okpara University Of Agriculture (MOUAU) is one of the federal institutions in Nigeria, and it is located in Umudike, Abia State. Formerly known as the Federal University of Agriculture, the school was founded as a specialized citadel of learning by a Federal Government of Nigeria Decree No 48 of November 1992.
In 1993 (which was when formal activities started in the school), the first Vice-Chancellor of the Federal institution was appointed – in the person of Professor Placid C. Njoku.
Micheal Okpara University Of Agriculture is situated in the Agricultural Training and Research city of Umudike. It is important to note that the institution started its operations on the premises of the former Federal College of Agriculture, Umudike.
The first session the institution admitted her first set of students was back then in the 1993/94 (just 82 students). An alumni of the school is called “Umudykes” or “U’dykers”.
As for the administration of Micheal Okpara University of Agriculture, there are four major organizational structures in the system, which includes:
The Principal Officers:
- The Chancellor,
- Pro-Chancellor and the council,
- Deputy Vice-Chancellors – Academic and Administration, the
- University Librarian)
1) The Statutory Committees of the University Council(made up of The Pro-Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellor(s), six other members of the Council appointed by the Council, the Director-General of the Federal Ministry of Education or, in his absence, a member of his Ministry as he may designate to represent him).
2) Congregation (which consists of the Vice-Chancellor, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor(s), the Full-time members of academic staff, the Registrar, the Bursar, the Librarian, the Director of Works, the Director of Physical Planning, the Director of Academic Planning, the Director of Health Services; and every member of the administrative staff who holds a degree other than an honorary degree of any University recognized for the purposes of this statute by the Vice-Chancellor)
3) Convocation: Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Colleges, Departments And Courses
As things stand now, there are 11 Colleges in the institution with 57 departments, as well as a School of General Studies. They are:
COLLEGE OF ANIMAL SCIENCE AND ANIMAL PRODUCTION
- Animal Breeding and Physiology
- Animal Nutrition and Forage Science
- Animal Production and Livestock Management
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
- Adult and Continuing Education
- Agricultural/Home Science Education
- Educational Management
- Industrial Technology Education
- Library and Information Science
- Psychology and Counselling
- Science Education
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS, RURAL SOCIOLOGY AND EXTENSION
- Agribusiness Management
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology
COLLEGE OF APPLIED FOOD SCIENCE AND TOURISM FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Home Science/Hospitality Management and Tourism
- Human Nutrition and Dietetics
COLLEGE OF CROP AND SOIL SCIENCE
- Plant Health Management
- Soil Science and Meteorology
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY
- Agricultural and Bioresources Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
COLLEGE OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCE
- Banking and Finance
- Business Administration
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Human Resource Management
COLLEGE OF NATURAL SCIENCES
- Plant Science and Biotechnology
- Zoology and Environmental Biology
COLLEGE OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
- Environmental Management and Toxicology
- Fisheries and Resources Management
- Forestry and Environmental Management
COLLEGE OF PHYSICAL AND APPLIED SCIENCE
- Computer Science
COLLEGE OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
- Veterinary Anatomy
- Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Microbiology
- Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Veterinary Surgery and Radiology
Micheal Okpara University of Agriculture Admission Requirements
For Undergraduate Studies
Students seeking admission into the institution must be careful to ensure they satisfy the admission requirements, hence, won’t be admitted. All candidates must be qualified for admission before the beginning of the session, and according to the management of the school, must meet both the general entrance requirements as well as additional College or Departmental course requirements.
General Entry Requirement
A candidate below the age of 16 won’t be admitted into the University. Aspirants must participate in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination organized by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and must have a pass mark before they can be invited to the second phase of screening (organized by the institution itself).
All aspirants are to have a minimum of 5 credit passes at the SSCE or equivalent obtained at not more than 2 sittings in relevant subjects including English and Mathematics.
For Transfer Candidates
Anyone who wish to transfer from other universities into the institution is meant to first purchase and complete the prescribed application form obtainable from the University Registry at Umudike.
Additionally, such must posses the minimum entry requirements for admission into the school, and the special requirements of the proposed Department/ programme.
Additionally, the candidate must be sure that his or her academic transcripts and special reports that concerns him or her are received in the admission office of the University.
For Direct Entry
As far as Micheal Okpara University of Agriculture is concerned, admission for direct entry candidates is based on a combination of ‘O’ Level results with the following qualifications:
- OND/ND (Distinction)
- HND (Credit)
iii. NCE (Double Major) at Credit Level
- OND/ND (Credit)
- NCE (Double Major/Merit Level)
Those that have OND/ND (Distinction), HND (Credit) and NCE (Double Major) at Credit Level may be admitted into 200 level. However, those with OND/ND (Credit) and NCE (Double Major/Merit Level) starts from 100 level.
*If you have any of the (i) and (ii), you will do well taking the route for your admission into the University, as you will simply find yourself in 200l instead of having to start from the scratch again.
For Pre-degree Candidates:
Those interested in pre-degree programmes must have a minimum of five ‘O’ Level credits, in relevant subjects including English Language and Mathematics.
For Postgraduate Programmes:
As mentioned earlier, Micheal Okpara University of Agriculture also have provisions for postgraduate studies. If you are interested in furthering your education here, you must have the requisite qualification for your intended course of study at the time of submitting your completed application forms.
For Postgraduate Diploma Programme:
This is for those who finished the University (either Micheal Okpara University of Agriculture, or some other recognised universities) with third class Honours. For those who attended a polytechnic, they come in with a Higher National Diploma (HND) at the Distinction or Upper credit level
For Doctor Of Philosophy Degree:
Anyone interested in this must be a graduate of either Micheal Okpara University of Agriculture or other recognized Universities. They must have a first class at the Bachelor’s degree, or a Master’s Degree in relevant disciplines with a Cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 5 point scale, or at least 2.8 on a 4 point scale.