In this guide, I’ll show you how to generate your own Tax Identification Number online on the official portal of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) or Joint Tax Board (JTB).
As a requirement, every Nigeria is expected to pay 5% tax of his earning according to the new tax law in Nigeria under President Muhammadu Buhari.
This means if you’re one of the content creators on Opera News Hub, moving forward, you’d be mandated to obtain TIN before you get your earning.
What is TIN?
TIN means Tax Identification Number. It’s a unique digit number that’s associated with every earner in Nigeria.
Typically, every Nigeria who has Bank Verification Number (BVN) and the National Identity Number (NIN) has TIN, very easy and simple, unfortunately, some Nigerians don’t know that they already have TIN.
- TIN is free
- It is a legal obligation of every Nigerian
- Paying taxes is mandated to all Nigerians and foreigners who residents in Nigeria
Importance of Tax Identification Number in Nigeria:
- It enables you to apply for the government loan.
- You need to get payment clearance from a foreign-owned company like Opera News Nigeria
- You need an import, export or trade license? Then you have TIN.
- You need tax identification number if you are planning to to import your capitals into a foreign country.
- You must have a TIN if you wish to open a business account.
- It is a must when registering your vehicle
- You also need TIN to get tax clearance, allowance, waiver, incentive.
How do I pay my tax in Nigeria?
Paying tax in Nigeria has been made easy through the use of technology. Anyone who wishes to remit his 5% tax to the government can do so through the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS).
FIRS is a government agency that is saddled with the responsibility of collecting and accounting for tax on behalf of the Federal Government.
Just as the FIRS is associated to the FG, States Boards of Internal Revenue (SBIRs) is associated to the 36 state governments while the Local Government Revenue Committees perform similar functions at the grassroot level.
What is JTB?
JTB means Joint Tax Board. The Income Tax Management Act 1961 created the Joint Tax Board (JTB) charged to ensure uniformity of standards and application of Personal Income Tax in Nigeria.
Functions of FIRS
Below are some of the key functions of the Federal Inland Revenue Service
- FIRS collects tax on behalf of the government.
- It has the power to adopt measures to identify, trace, freeze, confiscate or seize proceeds derived from tax fraud or evasion.
- FIRS has the power to direct banks to restrict taxpayers’ accounts on the ground that such taxpayers have outstanding tax liabilities to settle.
With all these explainers, how can I obtain TIN online on FIRS?
How to obtain your Tax Identification Number on FIRS portal FREE
This process is divided into two:
Individual in relation to taxation in Nigeria
Every Nigeria is an Individual under this category and is expected to pay tax on his income or earning.
- Salary earner
- Market women
- Service provider
- Opera News Content Creator
- Hawkers etc
Non-Individual in relation to paying tax in Nigeria
The non-individual include:
- Sole proprietorship
- Incorporated trustee
- Foreign companies
- Limited by guarantee
- Partnership business
- Private Limited Company
- Private Unlimited Company
- Public Limited Company
- Cooperative Societies
- Trade associations
- Business name etc
How to request TIN online (For Non-Individual)
Follow these steps to get your TIN online
- Step 1: Access the official portal of JTB at tin.jtb.gov.ng/TinRequestExternal
- Step 2: Fill the form by selecting organisation type, line of business, business registration number and registered name etc.
- Step 3: Provide details of directors: full name, phone number, email, address, shares. You could click add to provide details of other directors of the company.
- Step 4: Hit submit to generate your tax identification number (TIN).
Or simply use the FIRS TIN Verification System at https://apps.firs.gov.ng/tinverification/
Note: Your TIN has to be Join Tax Board TIN only
FIRS TIN Requirements for a Non-Individual:
- Certificate of Incorporation: CAC2, CAC7
- Utility bill of one of the directors
- Application letter on company letter headed paper
- The company seal (stamp)
- Articles of Association
- Duly completed TIN Application form
Make photocopies of the above documents and ensure to take the originals along with you for verification purposes. They would be returned to you.
How to request TIN online (for Individual)
The process is quite different from the one outlined above, follow the process below:
- Step 1: As an individual, you need to visit the FIRS office closer to you or JTB branch near you
- Step 2: Tell the receptionist you need TIN
- Step 3: Fill the form that will be given to you.
- If the officer is charge has lesser tasks on his table, you should get it within a few minutes. Very easy.
FIRS TIN Requirements for an individual:
- Legal name (not alias or pet name)
- Means of identification (ID) e.g Driver’s license, National ID card, International Passport, Staff ID card.
- Physical address
- Your BVN or NIN (National Identity Number)
- Phone number
- Functional email address
- Functional phone number
What’s the cost of getting FIRS TIN in Nigeria?
TIN is absolutely FREE in Nigeria.
However, if you’re using a third party or passing through an agent, you will be charged for his services.
FIRS Offices in Nigeria
So, ready to handle it yourself, visit any of the FIRS offices closer to you. Below is the branch office of the Federal Inland Revenue Service in Nigeria.
FIRS office in Abia State:
1) Aba MSTO: 176, Azikwe Road, Aba, Abia State
Phone no: 09070327552
2) Osisioma MSTO: 161, Aba-Owerri Rd, Aba, Abia State
3) Umuahia MSTO: 4, Ojike Street., Umuahia, Abia State
4) Abia State GBTO: 4, Ojike Str., Umuahia, Abia State
5) Abia Stamp Duties: 4, Ojike Str., Umuahia, Abia State
If you can’t find the nearest FIRS office on this list, let us know your location (state of residence) and we’ll get the address across to you.
Are you too busy? Or you just want to concentrate on other things? We can handle this for you. Use the comment box below or give us a call.