Last Updated on
How many time have you come across job openings where you’re required to attach your cover letter?
Some people get stuck at the point of accompanying their CV with cover letter, in this post, we’ll share with you eight most important things your need to do when writing a salable cover letter.
You need something that would make you stand out, something that would make you shine among thousands of other applicants.
As such, we’ll also share with you two free download of cover letter samples written by globally recognised Human Resource Managers.
But that, it’s pertinent to ask…
Why do I need a Cover Letter?
In one of our posts, we shared with job seekers latest CV format in Nigeria as shared by HR. Resume isn’t enough for most of the job postings.
You need to create a cover letter and avoid the super generic ones which have been over-used by job seekers.
According to Muse career coach, Melody Godfred, “When you’re writing a resume you’re oftentimes confined by space, by resume speak, by keywords—you’re up against a lot of technical requirements”.
He says further, “in a cover letter you have an opportunity to craft a narrative that aligns you not only with the position you’re applying to but also the company you’re applying to.”
Key areas for a perfect cover letter?
- Engaging opening line
- Clear pitch
- Superb closing line
Let’s talk about the the key ares you need to pay attention to when crafting your cover letter:
An Engaging Opening Line
Make the opening of your cover letter memorable. Avoid generic openings like:
- “I’m applying for”
- “I’m writing to be considered for a role at…”
- “Hi” etc
According to Alyse Kalish at themuse.com, the opening of your cover letter is very important. The first line determines whether the recruiter would read the next line or junk it.
A Clear Pitch
What are your strengths? This is the area to sell yourself for the position and you have to convince your potential employer why you are the best for the opening.
Human Resource Manager advises that this section should have a balance of soft and hard skills, so, “talk about your experience using Salesforce or doing SEO work (and get those job description keywords in!”
A Superb Closing Line
This is the area where you’re thanking them for a possible appointment for an interview.
Example of the closing line of a cover letter:
- “Thank you in advance for your consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you.”
- “I thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.”
- “I would love to schedule a time for us to discuss this role and my experience.” etc
Other tips when writing your cover letter:
1) Ensure to address your cover letter to a person.
- Dear Sir or Madam (Wrong)
- Dear Mr Goodswill Daniel (Wright)
2) Try as much as you can to use relevant keywords from the job description throughout your cover letter. This is very important because most of the recruitment firms use Applicant Tracking System (ATS).
3) Don’t over-optimised for Application Tracking Systems, avoid keyword stuffing, don’t cheat the system.
4) Use standard formatting: font and layout. Keep them simple.
5) Finally, ensure to include your contact information: your name, phone number, and email.
Imagine you are the right person, but the employer can’t find your contact details? Very important.
FREE DOWNLOAD of Cover Letter According to HR Managers
The samples below are shared by
- Alyse Kalish,
- Kirsty Bonner, one of the best HR Managers in the UK and CEO of KB
I am writing in regard to your job opening of <Target Role>. As a candidate with extensive experience in <job title>, I am highly skilled in <Hard Skills to JD>.
The opportunity to join <Organization> greatly interests me because <Reasons>. As a holder of <Degrees, Certs>, I can competently execute <JD Responsibilities>.
I believe that I would make a valuable asset to your team, and I offer my resume for your review.
As per my professional summary, my qualities and experience make me highly suitable for the role of <Target Role>.
I am highly regarded for <Transferable Skills>. I am proficient in <Systems>.
Throughout my career, I have demonstrated the highest levels of service and commitment to the mission of any organization I have worked for. <List 3-4 achievements relevant to the JD>.
I would welcome the opportunity to work for <Company Name> because <3reasons>.
I thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
The above samples of cover letter for a job are applicable in all English-speaking countries. Is there are other samples you want to share with us?