If you need to call any other country or you received a call from an unknown caller, you can simply know where the call is from using the international dialling code.
If you are the one making the call from another country, you will also need to use the international dialling code as a prefix before your call gets across to the other end.
For instance, Nigeria’s country code +234 will allow you to call Nigeria from outside the country from wherever you are.
The international dialling code is also known as the International direct dialling (IDD) or international subscriber dialling (ISD).
Dialling an international number on your mobile phone
On your mobile phone, you might not necessarily see “+” but the plus sign is aligned with the key “0”. You can use the “+” by holding the “0” to get the “+” followed by the country code.
International dialling codes for African countries
Here is the compilation of international dialling codes for all the 56 African countries. Note that it’s possible for you to get a virtual phone number of another country right in your own country that would make your receiver think you are making the call from another country.
For instance, there is a way to use +257, which is Botswana’s code, right here in Nigeria and vice versa. That’s technology.
That’s another topic for another day, check the international dialing codes for all countries in the African continent.
- Algeria: +213
- Angola: +244
- Benin: +299
- Botswana: +269
- Burkina Faso: +226
- Burundi: +257
- Cape Verde: +257
- Cameroon: +237
- Central African Republic (CAR): +236
- International Dialing code for Chad: +235
- Comoros: +269
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: +243
- Republic of the Congo: +242
- Cote d’Ivoire or Ivory Coast: +225
- International Dialing code for Djibout: +253
- Egypt: +20
- Equatorial Guinea: +240
- Eritrea: +291
- Eswatini (formerly Swaziland): +268
- International Dialing code for Ethiopia:+251
- Gabon: +241
- Gambia: +220
- Ghana: +233
- Guinea: +224
- International Dialing code for Guinea-Bissau:+245
- Lesotho: +266
- Liberia: +231
- Libya: +218
- Madagascar: +261
- Malawi: +265
- Mali: +223
- Mauritius: +230
- Morocco: +212
- International Dialing code for Mozambique: +258
- Namibia: +264
- Niger: +227
- International Dialing code for Nigeria: +234
- Rwanda: +250
- Sao Tome and Principe: +239
- Senegal: +221
- Seychelles: +248
- International Dialing code for Sierra Leone: +232
- Somalia: +252
- South Africa: +27
- South Sudan: +211
- Currency: Pound
- Sudan: +249
- Swaziland (renamed to Eswatini): +268
- Tanzania: +255
- Togo: +228
- Tunisia: +216
- Uganda: +256
- Zambia: +260
- Zimbabwe: +263