No fewer than 25 escapees from Correctional Centres in Benin City have voluntarily surrendered to authorities in the Edo State capital on Saturday, October 24, 2020
A few days ago, there was a jailbreak in Benin-City where 1,900 inmates escaped from the Oko and Sapele Road Correctional Centres. Among those who escaped are 120 condemned persons.
Their escape was aided by hoodlums who hijacked #EndSars protest, broke into the prison yard to set free inmates.
Governor Godwin Obaseki subsequently imposed a curfew on the state and gave the escaped prisoners 24 hours to hand themselves to authority.
Returnee speaks after handing himself to authority
One of the returnees, a 40-year old Alex Ose, a taxi driver, who spoke shortly after his return said he had been awaiting trial since 2014 when he was arrested for armed robbery in Benin.
He said he’s innocent of the charges against him and was sure that he would get justice in the court.
He said the escape had afforded him the opportunity to be home with his wife and children.
“I am innocent of the allegations against me. I was framed up. I am appealing to Governor Obaseki to look into my case. I have every opportunity to run but chose to surrender myself because I am not guilty. The Governor should please look seriously into my case. I am innocent,” Ose pleaded.
Security operatives to begin manhunt soon
Reports from Benin City say the state government had directed security operatives in the state to commence a manhunt for the prisons’ escapees after the expiration of Governor Obaseki’s one week grace for the prisoners to return.
It’s gathered that those who escaped from lawful prison custody risked being sentenced for an extra seven years if caught while those who willingly surrendered themselves will be shown mercy as promised by Governor Obaseki.