Last Updated on October 25, 2020 by Ope Quadri
Some Nigerians have challenged former Lagos State governor Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu to walk the streets of Lagos without his security men as a proof that he’s holding a powerful chieftaincy title in the commercial city.
The national leader of the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) who is the Asiwaju of Lagos and Jagaban of Bogu, was seen in a video clip where he responded to a journalist if he travelled out of the country during the #EndSars protest.
“I didn’t go nowhere; I’m a Lagosian and I still hold the title of Asiwaju of Lagos and I am still a Jagaban,” he said.
A Twitter user Adenekan Mayowa said, “Dear Tinubu, If truly you are Jagaban as you claim, Please walk on the streets of Lagos without security.”
It was rumoured that Tinubu jetted out of Nigeria amid #EndSars protest in Lagos and other parts of the country.
A short video clip was shared on Twitter that he flew to France in order to escape the wrath of the angry masses who burned some of his perceived businesses across Lagos including a popular TV station TVC, The Nation, and Lekki Tollgate.
“People died and you still come out to say u are still the jagaban. Wow,” Samklef tweeted
Another user tweeted, “I pity the few that stood up for this guys during election it’s so sad … ogbeni keep quite countries threw you out and Nigeria is the best place to come back because we have no law.”
Even as the Tinubu dispelled the rumour, some Nigerians aren’t convinced, a Twitter user said, “He just arrived from France via Hamburg en-route Doha after a brief stopover at New York.”
My son was not kidnapped – Tinubu
The former Senator who was making an official visit to Lagos State governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu since the protest also dispelled the report that his son Seyi was kidnapped.
“Fake news is all over the place. They say Seyi my son was kidnapped and was chased but look at him. I didn’t pay a penny to bring him here.”
Tinubu stated that he was at government house to see the governor to ask him who ordered the shooting of protesters at the tollgate.
He said, “First, we have to segregate the calendar – those who suffered casualty before the protests from the hands of SARS. You have to separate that from those who suffered casualty due to what happened at the tollgate.”
Tinubu who promised that the commission of inquiry will unearth those who suffered casualty from SARS, said, “I trust the calibre and the character of the people there, they are independent. That is one.”
He assured Nigerians that he believed that Sanwo-Olu would ensure that justice is served, describing the governor’s actions so far as “responsive.”
Tinubu seeks permission to visit victims of #EndSars protest
The APC leader also said part of of his visit to the governor was to seek his permission to visit victims of protest.
The protest was aimed at ending police brutality and total overhaul of the police, and usher in responsive governance, however, the protest which started peacefully was hijacked by thugs.
Properties worth billions of naira were looted and set ablaze, the Oba of Lagos is one of many victims whose palace was looted and destroyed by thugs.