Last Updated on February 2, 2021 by Ope Quadri
Social Investment Programme (SIP) is President Muhammadu Buhari’s intervention programme aimed at addressing some of the problems facing Nigeria so as to reduce poverty and hunger.
Social Investment Programme (SIP) has four MAJOR areas:
- N-Power to engage unemployed Nigerian youths. It has already engaged 200,000 Nigerian youths, while another 300, 000 Nigerian graduates will soon be deployed across the country..
- HGSFP means Home-Grown School Feeding Programme.
- CCT that is Conditional Cash Transfer
- GEEP is Government Enterprises Entrepreneurship Programme.
N-power has gulped more money than all other programmes combined.
The Federal Government through the Social Investment Programme (SIP) has spent billions of Naira.
Success of Social Investment Programme (SIP) in Nigeria
There may be a few challenges along the way, but SIP has recorded success in the following areas:
- Through the Social Investment Programme (SIP), a total of 7,812,201 lives have been directly impacted, meaning over seven million homes can testify to Social Investment Programme (SIP).
- Another set of 1,500,000secondary beneficiaries comprising mainly farmers and cooks have also benefited.
- 200,000 jobs for undergraduates employed under the N-Power programme, 300,000 more waiting to be employed
- Over 7 million children being fed daily in 22 States so far
- Beneficiaries of microcredit loans going to about 300,000
- Almost 300,000 households benefiting from conditional cash transfers.
At a time, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo stated that the President Buhari government committed N500billion to (SIP).
Remember, Social Investment Programme (SIP) has structure.
That amount is the largest pro-poor programme in Nigeria’s history, and the largest social safety net in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Speaking at the 10th Bola Tinubu Colloqium in Lagos, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said “We have seen today the empirical evidence of the successes of this programme, and all of that is evident for us to see and listen to several testimonies and stories.