Last updated on August 5th, 2023 at 09:08 pm
UPDATED: The election results of the much anticipated November 6, 2021 Anambra Governorship election result has been collated and Prof. Charles Soludo of All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) has been declared the winner by the Independent National Electoral Election (INEC).
Election results of 21 local government areas were announced by INEC at Awka, the state capital where all collation officers in each of the local governments converged to give accounts of what happened at the LGA they were posted.
Summary of 2021 Anambra governorship election:
- Electoral umpire: INEC
- Registered Voters: 2.5 million
- Polling unit: 5,720 polling units
- Polling units with no registered voters: 86
- Total valid votes: 229,521
- Rejected votes: 7,841
- Total votes cast: 237,362
- APGA: 112,229
- APC: 43,285
- PDP: 53,807
- YPP: 21,261
- Date of election: Saturday, November 6, 20201
- Number of contestants: 18
- Number of political parties: 18
- Anambra collation and returning officer: Prof. Florence Obi (Vice-Chancellor of the University of Calabar )
How many political parties contested in the election?
In the election, candidates of 18 political parties vied for the highest position in the state, but on this election result, we focused on four major political parties and their candidates:
|Political Party||4 Major Candidates|
|All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA)||Chukwuma Michael Umeoji Soludo|
|All Progressive Congress (APC)||Emmanuel Andy Nnamdi Uba|
|Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)||Valentine Ozigbo|
|Young Progressives Party (YPP)||Ifeanyi Patrick Ubah|
Who wins the election?
APGA received 112,229 votes to win the 2021 Anambra State Governorship Election. Other parties APC scored 43,285; PDP had 53,807 while YPP gets 21,261 votes.
Declaring the winner, INEC’s Chief Returning Officer, Professor Florence Obi said:
“That Charles Chukwuma Soludo of APGA, having satisfied the requirements of the law is hereby declared the winner and is returned elected”.
Below is the collation of the result as announced by INEC:
|Local Government Areas||Political Parties||Results||Winner/Remark|
The Returning Officer of the Orumba North Dr. Michael Otu disclosed he signed the election result under duress. INEC officials met with party representatives and other stakeholders
|Ihiala||APGA||112,229||APGA. On Saturday, the returning officer said the election didn’t hold in the area.
Supplementary election held in 362 polling units in the local government area on Tuesday, November 9, 2021 and APGA won
With the above results and Prof Charles Soludo, a former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is the winner of the governorship election in Anambra state conducted on Saturday, November 9, 2021. Soludo will join the list of past and present governors of Anambra
- Soludo of APGA wins in 19 local government areas
- Ozigbo of PDP won in one LGA
- Ubah of YPP won in one LGA
- Andy Uba didn’t win in any LGA
- Soludo of APGA received 112,229 votes to become the governor-elect who would succeed Obiano in a few days from now.