Last Updated on February 2, 2021 by Ope Quadri
There is a new method for the National Identity Card Enrolment in Nigeria, according to the Association of Licensed Telecommunication Operators of Nigeria (ALTON).
Instead of joining the millions of prospective applicants at the offices of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), you visit any of the four major telecom providers.
To ease the process of enrolment, we published the list of NIMC agents across the country a few days ago.
The agents were divided into six categories, they include:
- Small, Medium Enterprises SMEs B1
- Public Sectors Organisations
- Private Limited Liability Company
- Non-governmental organisation and civil society organisations
- State Government-Public Sectors Institutions
- Start-Up companies and small, medium enterprises
Telecom NIMC Agents Agents are:
- MTN Nigeria Communications Plc.
- Globacom Limited
- Airtel Network Limited
- Emerging Markets Telecommunications Services Limited (9Mobile)
To enrol the National Identity Card, visit either MTN, GLO, Airtel, or 9Mobile branch closest to you. They among 173 private sector organisations licensed to handle the registration exercise.
They are expected to collate data and send to the NIMC headquarters
Why Telecom Firms Are Major Stakeholders
Considering the number of active subscribers for mobile telephony in Nigeria, partnering with major telecom firms would make the capturing of Nigerians’ data faster and easier.
As of October 2020, StatiSense, a Data Tech firm captured the active subscribers as follows:
- MTN: 83.3m [40.14%]
- Airtel: 56.2m [27.08%]
- Globacom: 55.1m [26.53%]
- 9mobile: 13m [6.24%]
How to enrol through the New Method
- Check out our guide on how to apply NIN
- Locate the nearest MTN service centre, Airtel store locator, Glo shops, or 9Mobile office to you to register
You don’t have to join the hundreds of Nigerians who storm NIMC office every day. It isn’t safe at this crucial time when the World is battling with the spread of COVID-19 pandemic. Use this new method for national identity card enrolment.