Last updated on December 2nd, 2018 at 02:34 am
Police clearance form is one of the traveling documents you need to have before landing in another country. You may apply, but your application may be rejected due to some reasons.
In this post, we’ll tell you some of the reasons. In our earliest posts, we elaborately outlined the guide on how to apply and get police character certificate in Nigeria.
While in another guide we collated the list of the cost of the certificate, also known as clearance check, that post is based on the feedback from those who had applied and got theirs.
Before moving to police clearance rejection reasons, what exactly is it about?
To a first timer hoping to travel abroad it may be strange, to others who have had course to jet out of Nigeria it’s no longer new.
For the purpose of the former….
Police clearance certificate certificate is an official document issued by the police as a background check on someone who is traveling to another country.
Its purpose is to check if you have any criminal record, if you do your application may be jeopardized.
It is to show your prospective host country that you are of good character, and not wanted by law enforcement agents back home.
Other known names of Police Clearance Certificate around the world are:
- Police Clearance Certificate (Nigeria)
- Police extracts
- Good citizen certificate (Hong Kong)
- Good conduct certificate or Certificate of Good Conduct(Nigeria)
- National Police History Check (Australia)
- Criminal Record Check
- Judicial Record Extracts (UK, Australia)
- NPF Character Clearance (Nigeria)
Whatever the name it is called, check out our list of police clearance certificate rejection reasons
Police Clearance rejection reasons in Nigeria are:
1) If you are found to have escaped immigration detention in another country.
2) If you are a drug trafficker, your application may be rejected. Even in a situation whereby you found your way out of Nigeria, the host country may dig into your past, and if you are found to have involved yourself in hard drug, you may be prosecuted.
3) Another police clearance rejection reason is: If you are not of good character. Definition of good character may be different in your host country.
We have seen Nigerians who were deported from another country because the host country do not see them as being of good character.
4) If you escaped justice in another country, you may not be allowed into another country.
If you found your way in and you are caught you will be deported to the country where the offence was committed or you are sent back to your country to face prosecution.
5) Your police clearance certificate may be rejected if there are conflicts between your data on police portal and what you tendered at the certificate processing unit.
6) Another police clearance rejection reason is: If you belong to an association or group that has been outlawed in your country.
We’ve heard about Nigerians who used faked documents to travel out of Nigeria particularly to Italy.
6)Finally, your police clearance application may be rejected if “You have been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison, or multiple sentences that add up to more than 12 months in prison.”