Are you one of the brightest young minds in your community in workplace and you strive to step up the gave? If you answered in affirmative, then the World Bank Young Profession Programme (WBG YPP) is for you.
In out youth empowerment tips for today, we bring to you how you can join young bright minds like Yanchao Li, Chifundo Patience Chilera and the rest of them at the WBG YPP.
What is Young Professionals Program?
It is programme targeted at brightest minds around the World which gives them the unrivalled privilege to contribute to the World Bank Group’s top priorities.
The programme focuses on poverty eradication, social development and climate change to the current response to the deadly coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).
Without gainsaying, COVID-19 has re-shaped how we used to know the World to be.
Sponsors of the Young Professionals Program
- The World Bank Group
- International Finance Corporation (IFC )
- Multi Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA)
Aim of the YPP
To consolidate on the rich legacy of its predecessor programs
To recruit and develop future leaders to collaborate effectively across the institutions on joint WBG solutions to development challenges.
Who can apply for YPP
- Members of World Bank Group
- Born on or after October 1, 1988
- Have a master’s degree (doctoral degree would be an advantage)
- Specialize in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Demonstrate relevant professional experience
- Applicants must be fluent in English
Mode of operation of WBG YPP
- It is a two-year leadership development program.
- Successful candidates are offered a five-year employment contract with the World Bank, IFC or MIGA.
- Qualified professionals will undertake and intensive training in Washington, DC, United States of America.
- They would be taught the fundamentals of leadership and development operations across institutions.
- Intensive training on how to identify opportunities for joint impact.
Area of training
- Professional Experience
- Leadership Development
- Training on WBG Policies, Products and Operations
- Global Rotations across WBG
- Coaching & Mentoring
- Networking Events
- Management-supported rotations & job placements
Training on WBG Policies:
They are taught on the policies, products and operations of the World Bank, IFC and MIGA aimed at helping to proffer solutions to future challenging issues.
Successful candidates become full-time employees and given the opportunity to make significant contributions to their respective unit’s work program.
They also work on the frontlines of WBG operations, learning key aspects of World Bank work and directly engaging with clients.
Through the leadership training, successful candidates will be given the opportunity to develop the foundational knowledge to contribute to WBG business and the competencies to lead.
This where they do at least one rotation within their home institution, with some engaging in additional rotations to another institution.
The aim of this training is to build them in developing and applying skills across the business.
Coaching & Mentoring:
The Young Professionals are assigned several mentors at the peer and departmental level where they are guided on various topics ranging from settling into Washington, DC to identifying career opportunities throughout the YP experience, and beyond.
They trained on how to share ideas and stay connected with program alumni, stakeholders and broader WBG staff.
Management Supported Rotations & Job Placements:
They are further supported to ensure they undergo successful transitions to rotations and post-YPP job placements.
Benefits and salary of WBG YPP
- Competitive salary for the 5-year contract term
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Accident insurance
- Pension plan
- Relocation benefits
- Mobility benefits
Alumni of YPP
- Mamoudou Nagnalen Barry
- Yanchao Li
- Chifundo Patience Chilera
- Elwyn Davies
- Dalal Moosa
- Yaa Oppong
- Boban Varghese Paul
- Özgül Calicioglu
How To Apply for World Bank Young Professionals Program
- Step 1: Get the following ready: Resume/CV, Academic Credentials, 2 Short Essays, Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates only), 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations
- Step 2: Prepare two essay (questions 1 and 2) find the questions HERE and other details
- Step 3: Apply by using either your LinkedIn profile, Facebook or Google Account or you E-mail address
- Step 4: Fill the form and submit your application
The World Bank Young Professional Programme is one of the best training and job opportunities any youth can get across the World. The fact that you’ve applied for the Buhari Young Farmers Network shouldn’t be the reason why you shouldn’t apply for this global opportunity.
All the best!