Last updated on December 12th, 2022 at 09:03 am
Caregiver professional is increasingly becoming one of the most sought after jobs in Canada because of the population of senior citizens and others who need support.
Employers of caretakers want to see that applicants have the required experience and certifications. In this guide, we’ll cover both offline and online courses you can enroll in to get a certificate in caregiving.
We’ll also list some of the institutions across the World where you can enroll to be certified at the comfort of your home.
For instance, there is an academy in Nigeria, where you can take some courses in caregiving in order to advance your caregiver career.
Why Caregiving Courses?
The caregiving profession offers a good opportunity for the Philippines, Nigerians, Ghanaians, and other countries who want to work overseas.
A certificate in caregiving has become imperative because there are Asian and European countries that have an increasing population of senior citizens and the elderly. They require the aid of well-trained or experienced caregivers around the world.
Canada, for instance, doesn’t have enough manpower for caregiver profession and have to rely on migrant workers that have experience or certificate to cater for the needs of senior citizens.
In the past, little attention was paid to those who provide caregiving services, but the increasing number of senior citizens has shown the need to properly train those who provide caregiving services to children and the elderly.
When you take a course in caregiving, you will be able to know:
- how to administer basic first aid,
- how to maintain proper hygiene,
- how to prepare appropriate meals
- what sort of communication skill is needed for special cases.
Caregiving Accredited Institutes in Nigeria
Nigerians, no doubt, are among the most emigrants to Canada. Some of them are ready to take a caregiver job.
If you among planning a career change to this interesting and challenging role of caring for the elderly or younger ones, here are accredited places where you can take a caregiving course from Nigeria:
- Dewdrop Institute
- Nightingale’s Caregivers Academy
At Dewdrop Institute, you enroll for its 3-month professional training for Caregivers, with UK and Nigerian curriculum.
The 3-month course will open your eyes to:
- Safety and Protection in Care Practice,
- Rights and Responsibilities in Care Practice,
- Communication Skills,
- Diversity and Stereotyping,
- Hygiene and Nutrition Management,
- First Aid Skills amongst other skills.
The institute also offers City & Guilds’ International Vocational Diploma Qualification (IVQ) in Health and Social Care
Nightingale’s Caregivers Academy
Most of the courses on Nightingale’s Caregivers Academy are American Caregiver Association (ACA) certified, making their courses reputable and acceptable in Canada, London, and across the world.
Some of the available courses in Nightingale’s Caregivers Academy, Nigeria include :
- Advanced National Caregiver Certification Course (ANCCC)
- Certificate of Caregiver Ethics: Level 1
- Certificate of Caregiver Leadership: Level 1
- Certificate of Personal Development: Level 1
- National Assisted Living Manager Certification Course (NALMCC)
- National Caregiver Certification Course (NCCC)
Address: 122 Bode Thomas Street, Surulere, Lagos
Alison is a free online education platform that mostly focuses on workplace-based skills, where you can earn an accredited diploma in caregiving.
Some of the courses by Alison in this field are:
- Elderly Care and caring for the disabled
- Caregiving skills (Dementia Care)
- Introduction to caregiving
- Health and Safety for Caregiving (revised)
- Diploma in caregiving
- Mental health (Facts and Treatments)
To enjoy the full benefits of any of these courses on Alison, you can subscribe for €7.99 per month and get up to 50% off Certification
Caregivers from Philippine
The latest research has shown that apart from Nigerians, thousands of Filipinos also emigrate to Canada, the United States of America as professional caregivers.
This trend prompted the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), which manages the Philippines’ Technical Education and Skills Development to design various cases for in caretaking.
Today, there are more than 50 institutes, colleges or schools that offer courses in caregiving.
TESDA Caregiving Accredited Institutes In Philippine
Following the TESDA master plan, the institutes have also designed their modules to train students how to properly take care of physically handicapped patients, senior citizens, and other needs of those who do not have the strength to take care of themselves.
Below are the institutes where you can take a TESDA-backed certificate in caregiving in Philippine
- Unciano Colleges and General Hospital
- Metropolitan Medical Center College of Arts, Science and Technology
- Philippine Women’s University
- Unciano Colleges and General Hospital
- Asian Caregiving and Technology Education Centers (ACTEC CUBAO) Inc.
- Asian College of Science and Technology Foundation, Inc.
- Adamson University
- AMA Computer College – Sta. Mesa Inc.
- PSAA International Academy, INC.
- San Juan Manpower And Livelihood Training Center
- College of the Holy Spirit of Manila
- De Ocampo Memorial College Inc.
- Pasig Catholic College, INC.
- St. Chamuel Institute Of Technology (PASIG) INC.
- Manila Tytana Colleges, INC
- Central Colleges of the Philippines, Inc.
- Colegio de Sta. Teresa de Avila Foundation Inc.
- College of St. Catherine Quezon City Inc.
- MCC Peoplecare Training Center
- Pasig based Caregiver Schools
- Delos Santos-STI College, Inc.
- World City College, Inc. (Quezon City Medical Center Colleges)
- Asian Caregiving and Technology Education Centers, Inc.
- Lady of Lourdes Hospital and Colleges of Caybiga, Inc.
- Carenet Healthcare Institute, Inc.
- Fine International Training and Assessment Center, Inc.
- Dr. Carlos S. Lanting College, Inc.
- St. Augustine School of Nursing – Fairview, Inc.
- St. Mary’s College
How much is caregiving training course?
Please check the official website of the institute to get the latest fee for any of the above courses.
For instance, the cost of the Certificate of Caregiver Leadership (Level 1) at Nightingale’s Caregivers Academy was N60, 000 at the time of this research.
In the Philippines, school fees for caregiving courses range between Php250 to Php 350. The course determines the price