Last updated on August 30th, 2023 at 02:36 pm
To modify your NIN record, you will the original copy of your first NIN slip, the printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number which you paid on remita, and an application letter signed by you for the change you want to make on your data, stating the reason for a modification.
This guide explores how you can apply to make corrections on your NIN name, date of birth, and other details to reflect your present status as a Nigerian. The good news is that there is a solution to whatever error you may have made during the enrolment process.
Table of Contents
For Nigerians in Canada, Germany, the United, United States, and others around the world, we put a guide together on how to enroll in your country of residence, you can find it at: https://infomediang.com/nin-diaspora-registration-process
Major Reasons For NIN Data Modification
There are seven major reasons why you may want to modify your National Identity Number data, they are:
- Marital status
- Unintentional mistakes
- Wrongly spelt name
- change of address
- Change of Phone Number
- level of education
- change of occupation
This process also applies to how to apply for the correction of date of birth at any of the branches of the National Identity Management Commission closer to you.
Major Requirements for NIN Data Modification:
You’re expected to present the following documents if you want to make changes to your NIN slip:
1) Original copy of the first NIN slip issued to you
2) Printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number which you paid on remita (see below for payment guide) you can also choose a cafe or bank because you will need the printout copy.
3) Application Letter signed by you for the change you want to make on your data (The reason must be stated)
Requirements for Change of Name
You must present the following documents:
- Sworn Affidavit
- Newspaper Extract
- Marriage Certificate (for married ladies)
Requirements for Change of Address
- Utility Bill
- Tenancy Agreement
- Bank Statement
- Community leader Attestation
Requirements for Change of Phone Number:
You can also update the phone number on your NIN data due to loss or mechanical damage to the previous one, you must present the following documents:
- Police Report
Requirements for change of level of education
- Present the recent Certificate obtained;
Requirements for Change of Occupation
- Offer Letter from your employer.
Now that you know all you need to make corrections to your data, it’s time to begin the process:
1) Locate NIMC office near you with the required documents including the printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number
2) Request for a data modification form and fill it
3) Submit to an enrolment officer to double-check against the supporting documentation to ensure everything is correct
NB: Applicants who cannot read or write should go with someone who would assist with the filling of the form.
4) Your pre-filled information will be inputted on the NIMC Software by the enrolment officer.
5) You’ll be asked to double-check the information you provided to avoid any error.
6) Your biometrics will be captured
7) A Transaction ID Slip will be printed and given to you
8) You’ll have to submit the former NIN Slip to the NIMC office
9) Come back to the NIMC office for your NIN slip in 2 days or more
10) Report back to the NIMC office to collect a new National Identification Number Slip
If the correction affects the information on your National ID card, a card replacement form will be given to you while you’re expected to submit the old ID card while a modified National e-ID Card will be issued to you within three months after re-issuance of NIN slip (Most times it could take up to a year)
How can I change my name in NIN?
To make name modifications, visit the NIMC office. The agency claimed it is N500, but it is highly expensive than this.
An applicant said she was asked to pay N15,000 to modify her name, but NIMC has consistently claimed ignorance to the bribery and corruption perpetrated by its officials.
In one of our articles, we pointed out that NIMC is one of the revenue-generating agencies of the Federal Government.
Whatever the cost is let’s look at the documents you need to effect name change on your NIN data
How to Make Payment To NIMC Using TSA Payments Via Remita
TSA means Treasury Single Account, that’s the medium through which payment is made into the purse of the Federal Government.
Note that the available options to make TSA payment include:
- Card (making payment through your debit card)
- Bank account (Sterling and UBA)
- Bank branch (you’ll get RRR if you making payment through bank)
- Internet banking
- Remita (if your remita account is funded)
- Wallet (supported PAGA only)
- Phone number (supported by PayAttitude)
How to make payment for NIN modification of data
- Step 1: Visit www.remita.net to start the payment process.
- Step 2: Click on the option ‘Pay TSA&States‘
- Step 3: Choose the Federal Government in the options.
- Step 4: Under, “What do you want to Pay” simply type in ‘National Identity Management Commission.
GIFMIS Code for NIMC is 011103600100
Under the “Name of service/purpose”, choose ‘correction of date of birth”
Or any other service you want to pay for.
On the remita platform, modification of name shows N500, and if you can make the payment by yourself by signing up on remita.
Fill other spaces provided like your name, phone number, email etc
Tick the ‘I am not a robot’ reCAPTCHA checkbox and click on the stated selection of images before clicking on the ‘Verify’ button.
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ icon to ͞proceed to payment.
- Step 6: Choose any payment method convenient for you to make payment
- Step 7: Take receipt of payment to NIMC office
A new page comes up which will display your RRR – Remita Retrieval Reference at the top of the page if you making payment through bank branch. Print the invoice and take note of your RRR.
Can I change my date of birth in the NIMC office?
Yes, you can submit an application for a change of date of birth. You don’t have to go to Abuja to effect any change on your NIN data.
Anything you submitted at its branch office will be forwarded to Abuja for the change to reflect on your new NIN slip.
How much is NIN Name modification?
The cost of NIN correction of name is N500 on the NIMC official portal, but we received a complaint that NIMC officials collect N15, 000 in Kaduna, Kano.
NIMC Correction Of Date Of Birth: N15,000 (we’ve received a complaint that an official of NIMC asked an applicant to bring N50, 000 in one of the South-Eastern states)
How can I make payment for NIN modification?
To make payment for NIN data modification, you’ll have to make payment through remita. This is done through commercial banks in Nigeria.
How long will it take for NIN to be validated?
It can take between 3 to 5 business working days. However, it could take longer (like up to a month) in certain cases due to validation of details at NIMC.
How will I know if my NIN has been validated?
To know if you NIN has been validated, you can simply dial *109#, enter your 11 digits NIN Number and wait for a message.
Can I do NIN twice with a different name?
You can only enrol for NIN once in a lifetime unless you want to make changes to your name. In that case, you can apply for NIN change of name. See the requirements for name change above.
If you registered twice, the Automated Biometric Information System (ABIS) will detect and flag you as double registration.
If you can diligently follow the process of making payment for a change of date of birth or change of name on NIMC, your stress would be reduced in the application process. Alternatively, you can locate NIMC state offices in your location to begin the process.
if you don’t have a national ID card, you can begin the application process by first downloading the NIN enrolment form, fill, and submit at the nearest NIMC office to you.