The United States of America is the dream of thousands of people in various other places in the world. And in this post we’ll guide you how to apply for U.S Visa in Nigeria.
The country is such an exciting place with exciting places and features. There are a lot of interesting places for tourists to explore, and there are numerous opportunities for those who desire settling there.
This article will guide you on how to get a U.S Tourist Visa without much hassles. Those dreams you’ve been having to explore some of the most iconic landscapes in America just got a whole lot easier.
Recalled that InfomediaNG told you about how some Nigerians use U.S vistors’ visa to enter Canada, which may not be absolutely right though.
First of all, note that Nigerian passport holders need a tourist visa to visit USA. The exciting thing is that the process is pretty straightforward.
The first step in the US Visa Application process is submitting your application online through the US Department of State Consular Electronic Application Center.
Travellers are required to complete the US Visa Application and then go for an interview at the US Embassy in Abuja or United States Consulate General in Lagos.
Before starting the whole process, wisdom demands that you confirm your eligibility before anything else. It is also advisable that you submit your application at least three months in advance in advance of flight departure.
Types Of U.S Visas
The two most common Nonimmigrant Visas (Visitor Visas) for the USA are the:
– Tourism (B-2) visa
– Business (B-1) visa
Validity of U.S Visa
If you are able to get the B-2 Visitor Visa, you will be enabled to stay in the United States for up to six months at a time. Note that the validity of this visa is usually about two years.
Travellers should ensure they have a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the date of return.
Although things vary depending on various factors, be ready to wait for up to two months to get an appointment. Nevertheless, the processing time for the application is normally between 5 to 15 days.
U.S Visa Fees
Currently, for your application fee (business and tourist visas), have a budget of about ₦57,680.00. Note that it is non-refundable.
You can pay in cash at any GTBank branch nationwide, or online if you are an account holder at GTBank.
It is necessary to present one’s passport when making payment at the bank. Don’t forget to receive a receipt from the bank too, as this will be demanded when you attend the interview.
U.S Visa Requirements
• Travellers should ensure they have an original Nigerian passport that has two blank pages for visa and entry stamps and is valid for at least six months beyond your return date.
• Previous passports (for travel history).
• Barcoded DS-160 form confirmation page.
• Appointment confirmation page.
• Two colour photos that meet the US Visa photo requirements.
• Application fee payment receipt.
• Proof of funds (i.e. bank statements, payslips, proof of assets and investments etc.)
• Supporting documents such as invitation letters, letter of employment, provisional flight bookings and travel itinerary etc.
Where To Apply For A US Visa In Nigeria
Travellers can carry out their applications online through the US Department of State website.
Although the application is online, travellers are required to attend the visa interview in person at the embassy or consulate general.
U.S Embassy in Abuja
Address: Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area, Abuja, Nigeria
Telephone: (234) 9 461 4000
Hours: Monday to Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
United States Consulate General in Lagos
Address: 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Nigeria
Telephone: (234) 1 460 3600
Hours: Monday to Thursday 7 AM – 4 PM
Friday 7 AM – 1 PM
Courier service / Document Drop-Off Locations
If the application eventually sailed through, an applicant can choose any of two options to get their passport back: Either to pick-up from a DHL office, or from VFS collection office.
How to apply for a U.S Visa?
• Travellers should ensure they first take photographs that meet the US Visa photo requirements before they start the application process. A digital photograph will be uploaded with your application.
• Proceed to complete the DS-160 form and submit the visa application online through the US Department of State website. Print out the barcoded confirmation page.
• Then Pay the non-refundable processing fee online or over the counter at a bank.
• Schedule an appointment online or through a call centre (234) 1 440 6218.
When making an appointment, the following documents are needed:
– Your passport number.
– Your fee payment receipt purchase date.
– The 10-digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page.
• Attend your US Visa Application appointment at the US Embassy in Abuja or US Consulate General in Lagos.
If the visa is approved, one’s passport with the visa will be delivered to the pick-up location that was specified when an appointment was scheduled.
Printing And Photographs
You can easily get photocopy and photography services at the following locations:
• Kodak Express
Address: Palms Shopping Mall, 1 Bisway Street,
Telephone: (234) 803 473 3069
• Exact Office Nigeria
Address: 1 Balogun Street, Off Awolowo Avenue,
Telephone: (234) 815 814 7738
• Fotogold Studio Limited
Address: Plot 10, Lagos Crescent,
Telephone: (234) 803 705 3201
• Photo Works Lab
Address: Suite C86, Murg Shopping Mall, Akwa Street,
Area 10, Garki, Abuja
Telephone: (234) 809 812 9319
• Clin Cyber Cafe & Business Center
Address: Suite CDS2, Ground Floor, 354 Mike Akhigbe Way,
Telephone: (234) 703 196 2009
Please note that all information in this article was correct at the time of writing and they might change at any time without prior notice.
And if you have any question regarding U.S Visa application in Nigeria, don’t hesitate to ask us.